The oldest parts of the building date back to the 12th century although
evidence points to an original Norman church. Various construction activities
followed over the following 300 years with the tower added during the early
part of the 15th century. Even the Domesday survey of 1086 states a priest
was present in Powick.
Extensive restoration and modifications were made c1845, when the north and south doorways were blocked up, a south porch removed, an entrance made through the tower at the west end and the interior repaired and refitted with open seats. Further restoration work was undertaken in 1896–7. The lych-gate was erected in 1912.
Bullet marks can still be seen on the south tower wall, possibly the result of fighting during the advance of the Parliamentary troops during the Battle of Worcester on 3 September 1651.
The south transept is now used as an organ chamber, kitchen and vestry, and both transepts are separated from the nave and aisles by oak screens.
Within the tower, there is a peal of six bells, originally cast by Abraham Rudhall of Gloucester in 1705. The tenor was recast by Mears of London in 1833. In 1910 the second, third and fifth were also recast and all the bells rehung. The old inscriptions were retained in the new bells. The bells were all re-tuned in 1996.