- Poincguuic (10th century)
- Poiwic, Poiwicha (11th century)
- Poywyk (12th – 14th century)
- Powyke (19th century)
parish boundary is defined to the north and east by the Rivers Teme and Severn
respectively. The low lying open fields at the confluence are susceptible to
regular flooding and the meadows adjacent to the River Teme are known as Powick
Hams, a historic site that featured during the opening skirmish (23 september
1642) and closing battle (3 September 1651) between Royalist and Roundhead
soldiers of the English civil war. More information on the Battle
of Powick can
be found on the accompanying pages.
Heading north towards Worcester there are two bridges that cross the River Teme. The original narrow stone and brick bridge dates back to the 15th century while the “new” iron bridge was erected in 1837.
Adjacent to the old bridge on the banks of the Teme, stood the former Powick Mills. This was developed in 1894 by the City of Worcester into a combined steam and water driven hydro-electric facility. This experimental design was the first of its kind with the electricity generated providing about half the city's needs until it was decommissioned in the 1950’s and later converted into residential apartments
In 1985, a new Worcester southern link road was built across the flood plain and the River Severn to join the A38 (Worcester to Bath) and the A449 (Worcester to Malvern) main roads.
As you enter the village of Powick on the A449, the road forks; left to Callow End and Upton; right to Powick and Malvern.
... to be continued ...
Formerly known as the Worcester County Pauper and Lunatic Asylum, Powick Hospital was founded in 1847 under the supervision of architects John R. Hamilton & James Medland of Gloucester and opened in the August of 1852.
Situated between Worcester and Malvern in an estate of approximately 46 acres just outside the village of Powick, the asylum was originally erected for the accommodation of 200 patients but was later extended and by 1858 had 365 patients.
The asylum also had a variety of workshops for various trades, a gas works, a farm, brewhouse, bakehouse and a chapel. The management of the asylum was carried on by a committee of visiting visitors. The treatment of the patients was carried out by a resident physician and qualified assistants.
The hospital became notorious for its use of LSD as a treatment for illnesses such as severe depression and schizophrenia.
It was closed in 1989, bulldozed and redeveloped as a housing estate. The main building, however, was converted into flats and the Superintendant's Residence was converted to company offices.
In 1879, local musician and composer Edward Elgar was appointed bandmaster - the hospital had decided that music was therapeutic to the patients and had formed a 'band' composed of members of the hospital staff who could play a musical instrument. This comprised of a piccolo, flute, clarinet, two cornets, euphonium, eight violins, viola, cello, double bass and piano.